Foscarnet is an antiviral drug used to treat cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis, an eye infection that affects people with AIDS and can cause blindness if not treated.
Foscarnet can occasionally be coupled with another antiviral medication, ganciclovir, when the CMV infection does not react to Foscarnet alone.Additionally, Foscarnet treats acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex virus (HSV).
This medication can cause serious kidney problems. The risk of getting a kidney infection or problems related to the kidney is greater in people who are dehydrated. Your medical professional will conduct tests before and after giving you this prescription medication to ensure proper kidney function.
Contact your doctor immediately if you ever had or currently have kidney problems, or are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Dark urine
- Dry mouth
- Decreased sweating
- Dry skin
- Excessive sweating
Foscarnet might not react positively with certain medications, so it is best to keep your doctor and pharmacist informed about the medications you are taking, especially if they are from the list below:
- Acyclovir (Zovirax)
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics such as amikacin, kanamycin, neomycin, paromomycin, streptomycin, and tobramycin
- Amphotericin (Abelcet, Ambisome)
- Cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune)
- Methotrexate (Otrexup, Rasuvo, Trexall)
- Pentamidine (Nebupent, Pentam)
- Tacrolimus (Astagraf, Prograf)
In most cases, doctors might not recommend a foscarnet injection, because injecting in the wrong way can cause many unwanted side effects and reactions.
The common symptoms observed among people taking foscarnet are as follows:
- Decreased Urination
- Swelling of the face, arms, feet, hands, lower feet, ankles and lower legs
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Headache with chest pain
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Low white blood cell count which leads to anemia, a condition where a person grows pale along with a rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing and shortness of breath
- Low calcium which can cause numbness or tingly feeling around the mouth, fast or slow heart rate, overactive reflexes, muscle tightness or contractions
- Low potassium which can lead to constipation, numbness, fatigue, slow heart rate and fainting
- Fever flu like symptoms
- Irritation or sores on the intimate body parts
- Get medical emergency immediately if you experience any seizure like symptom
Note: Get emergency medical attention if you experience allergic reactions such as hives, swelling of throat, face and tongue.
If the above symptoms persist or get worse, contact a medical professional immediately.
How can I save money on Foscarnet Medication?
With the NSURx Prescription Benefit Card, you may save up to 80% on Foscarnet at over 35,000 pharmacies across the United States. This might save you THOUSANDS of dollars each time you fill your script.
The more you shop with NSURx, the more NSUR Coins you will receive as a reward, which you can make purchases on our online store.