Simvastatin (Zocor) is a low-cholesterol medication made from the naturally occurring lovastatin.
Patients with excessive blood cholesterol are prescribed Simvastatin (Zocor), a medication that lowers cholesterol. Preventing cardiac disease, including heart attacks and strokes, is also a common use for Simvastatin (Zocor).
Simvastatin (Zocor) is a cholesterol-lowering medication. When combined with a healthy diet, weight loss, and regular exercise, Simvastatin (Zocor) helps persons with or at risk of developing heart disease minimize their risk of having a heart attack or stroke and the likelihood that they will require heart surgery.
Family hereditary hypercholesterolemia can also be treated with Simvastatin (Zocor), which can lower the levels of cholesterol and other fatty compounds in the blood in children and adolescents aged 10 to 17.
What dosages of Simvastatin (Zocor) are available?
Simvastatin (Zocor) (Zocor) Dosage:
Simvastatin (Zocor) is available in the following doses:
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- 40 mg
- 80 mg
Doctors give consideration to the following factors when it comes to which dosage to administer:
Hypercholesterolemia (High Cholesterol)
- A typical daily dosage ranges from 5 to 40 mg taken orally once a day is the most commonly prescribed. Initially, 10-20 mg of the drug is taken once a day in the evening.
- Patients with a high risk of coronary heart disease often begin taking 40 mg per day.
Heterozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia (Genetic High Cholesterol)
Children ages 10 to 17 years old
- Once a day, take 10 mg in the evening; do not exceed 40 mg per day.
- Dosing changes should be done every four weeks or more, in the range of 10-40 mg.
Safety and effectiveness in children under the age of 10 have not been established.
What side effects are common with taking Simvastatin (Zocor)?
Negative effects of Simvastatin (Zocor) can occur in some people, although this is not common.
Simvastatin (Zocor) may have adverse side effects. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention if any of the following symptoms persist:
- Stomach pain
- Memory loss or forgetfulness
- Itchy or red skin
Some of the negative effects might be rather severe. If you notice any of the following signs or symptoms, you should seek medical attention right away:
- Fever and/or a lack of energy are both possible symptoms of muscle discomfort, tenderness, and weakness.
- Urine with a reddish hue
- Urinary incontinence
- Exhaustion, fatigue, or a lack of strength
- A lack of desire to eat
- Stomach ache in the upper right quadrant
- Skin or eye yellowing
- Urine that appears to have a dark color
- Chills or a high temperature.
Who should NOT take Simvastatin (Zocor)?
People of any age can take Simvastatin (Zocor), including those as young as 10 years old.
It is not recommended for everyone to take Simvastatin (Zocor). if you have any of the following medical conditions, consult your doctor before using this medication:
- Any medicine, including Simvastatin (Zocor), ever caused an allergic reaction in you
- Have issues with the liver or kidneys
- Trying to conceive, you’ve already had a baby, or you’re nursing
- Have a problem with their lungs
- Consistently consume huge quantities of alcoholic beverages
- Are suffering from a dysfunctional thyroid gland
- Had a muscular disease (such as fibromyalgia) in the past
Are there any special precautions I should follow before taking Simvastatin (Zocor)?
Before taking Simvastatin (Zocor):
- If you are allergic to Simvastatin (Zocor), other medications, or any of the ingredients in Simvastatin (Zocor) tablets or oral suspension, tell your doctor and pharmacist right away.
- If you’re taking antifungal medication, let your doctor know.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about any prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you’re taking or planning to take.
- If you have liver disease, seek medical advice.
- If you consume more than two alcoholic beverages per day, tell your doctor.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, consult your physician.
- Tell your doctor if you’re breastfeeding.
- Inquire with your doctor about the safe consumption of alcoholic beverages while taking Simvastatin (Zocor).
What drugs are similar to Simvastatin (Zocor)?
Does Simvastatin (Zocor) have a generic form?
What is the price of Simvastatin (Zocor) without insurance?
How can I save money on Simvastatin (Zocor)?
Cholesterol medications are not cheap; out-of-pocket costs can range from $29.95 to $500 USD!
With the NSURx Prescription Benefit Card, you can save money on cholesterol prescription medicines including Simvastatin (Zocor) at over 35,000 pharmacies across the United States.
You can save up to 80% on Simvastatin (Zocor) when you use an NSURx card. Each time you fill out a script, this could save you THOUSANDS of dollars.