Etoposide is used to slowly stop the growth of cancer cells in the body. This medication is classified under podophyllotoxin medications. It is used in combination to stop certain types of lung cancer, such as small cell lung cancer also known as SCLC.
How to consume Etoposide?
The medication usually comes as an oral medicine, which needs to be taken once a day for a period of 4-5 days. This cycle is repeated every 3-4 weeks, depending upon the effects and impact of the medication.
The course of this medication is decided by your current diagnosis, severity of your condition, other medicines that you’re consuming with it and how the body responds to the medication.
Read the instruction manual carefully before taking this medication and if you are confused about any instructions and ask your doctor or pharmacist to clarify it.
Take the medication as directed by your doctor and do not stop the course without the doctor’s consultation. Also, make sure that you’re taking the correct dosage of medicine that has been prescribed to you.
Taking etoposide can cause a severe decrease in the number of blood cells present in your bone marrow. It is necessary to go through frequent lab testing before and during the treatment. A decrease in the blood cells in the body can cause severe infection or/ and increase the risk of bleeding. If you experience the following symptoms while consuming this medication, then call your doctor immediately:
- Sore Throat
- Ongoing cough and congestion
- Other signs of infection like fever
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Bloody or black tarry stools
- Blood in vomit or coffee ground texture present in vomit
Other uses of Etoposide
This medicine is often used to treat ovarian cancer. The medication is prescribed by a doctor and shouldn’t be consumed without proper instructions and guidance.
Special precautions to follow before taking Etoposide
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about your allergies, and if you’re allergic to Etoposide or not
- Tell your medical professional about any herbal, or non-herbal supplements or medications you are consuming
- Be sure to mention the following medications, if you’re consuming them – Platinol, Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune or any other kind of cisplatin or cyclosporine
- If you ever had kidney disease or are currently suffering from any kidney related issues, make sure to tell your doctor about it
- If you’re pregnant or are planning to become pregnant then inform your doctor as the intake of this medication can be harmful during pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Etoposide can harm the fetus so call your doctor immediately if you become pregnant during the course of the medicine
How can I save money on Etoposide Medication?
With the NSURx Prescription Benefit Card, you may save money on Etoposide at over 35,000 pharmacies across the United States.
You can save up to 80% on Etoposide when you use an NSURx card. This might save you THOUSANDS of dollars each time you fill your script.
The more you shop with NSURx, the more NSUR Coins you will receive as a reward. You can then use those coins to make purchases on our online store.